user experience

Dubiel Vitrum is using Linux Debian system extensively to manage all documents in electronic form. We have ten million of files sorted in directories. The biggest directories contain about 100.000 files.

Currently our system works effectively by using ReiserFs, which is especially fast for small files and directories containing lots of files. But ReiserFS is not supported any more, so we are looking for a new file system that would handle our job as good as ReiserFS.

I installed fresh Debian, created empty partitions, formated them as Reiserfs, Nilfs. Then run command on each partition:

for A in $(seq 10); do for B in $(seq 100); do for C in $(seq 1000); do mkdir -p $A/$B/$C; done; done; done

and then run:

    find >/dev/null.

On Reiserfs it (last command, find) took 19 seconds, while on Nilfs it took 170 seconds. Maybe this is because system lacks b-tree directory management. Another limitation is that I was unable to create more than thirty thousand directories in one directory.

Leszek Dubiel
www.dubielvitrum.pl