an irritating problem and possible source of quiet data loss

Hi,

theres' that irritating problem that two files on the same device and with same
pathname -- but different content -- can have same inode number on NILFS2. It
really can screw automated and manual backup/restore. Best of all, it seems to
be against POSIX. Actually, two `versions' of the same file.

Today I wanted to revert a config file to certain older version:

(/dev/sda3 is the current root filesystem)

# chcp ss /dev/sda3 7591068
# mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/x -o ro,cp=7591068
# diff -burN /etc/adjtime  /mnt/x/etc/adjtime | diffstat
 adjtime |    4 ++--

so far so good. However!

# cp etc/adjtime /etc
cp: `etc/adjtime' and `/etc/adjtime' are the same file

and it did /not/ copy the original version over the new file.

The thing is, till recently the `diff' would also (errorously!) not report
difference between those two files, because it relied on comparing device and
inode numbers. If those matched, the files must be the same file. Just like
pointer equality in C programming language: if two objects are located at the
same address (pointer equality), they are the same object.

MVFS (a ClearCase thingie) and NILFS2 break that; diff now contains special
workaround because of MVFS. But some other utilities do not.

>From diff's sources:
> POSIX says that two files are identical if st_ino and st_dev are
> the same, but many file systems incorrectly assign the same (device,
> inode) pair to two distinct files, including:
>
> ((short list: Linux NFS, Network Appliance NFS, MVFS))

Please consider fixing that: either report different inode numbers on mounted
snapshots, or use different device numbers for mounted snapshots. The later
could make more sense -- a snapshot of filesystem is a much different entity
than the current state -- and also could be way easier to implement in kernel
without changing filesystem format.

Before any fix is ready, a manual workaround is possible, by using loop device:

coil!root!/mnt # losetup -f -v /dev/sda3
Loop device is /dev/loop0
coil!root!/mnt # mount /dev/loop0 /mnt/x -o cp=7591068,ro
(now /dev/loop0 mounted at /mnt/x has different device ID than the root
filesystem at /dev/sda3)
coil!root!~ # cp /mnt/x/etc/adjtime /etc/adjtime

(worked!)

Regards,
--
dexen deVries

For example, if the first thing in the file is:
   <?kzy irefvba="1.0" rapbqvat="ebg13"?>
an XML parser will recognize that the document is stored in the traditional
ROT13 encoding.

(( Joe English, http://www.flightlab.com/~joe/sgml/faq-not.txt ))