nilfs_cleanerd using a lot of disk-write bandwidth

Hi,

I'm seeing nilfs_cleanerd using a lot of disk write bandwidth according to iotop. It seems to be performing approximately equal amounts of reads and writes when it is running. Reads I can understand, but why is it writing so much in order to garbage collect? Should it not be just trying to mark blocks as free? The disk I/O r/w symmetry implies that it is trying to do something like defragment the file system. Is there a way to configure this behaviour in some way? The main use-case I have for nilfs is cheap flash media that suffers from terrible random-write performance, but on such media this many writes are going to cause media failure very quickly. What can be done about this?

Gordan