Re: Applying nice/ionice to nilfs-cleanerd

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 10:09:31 +0200, dexen deVries <dexen.devries@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[lowering cleanerd priority]

However, may be a downside to /always/ running cleanerd niced and
ioniced.  I
believe that currently cleanerd's activity slows other processes down a lot
when filesystem is almost full -- which means that it oftet won't
become truly
full, because clearned will free enough space for other processes to be able to complete their work. If, on the other hand, cleanerd was highly niced and ioniced, it could end up being starved of CPU and disk bandwidth and not freeing enough free space, which could cause other processes to exhaust free
space on filesystem and abord when not able to write to filesystem.

I was just thinking about that. This would only be an issue on a system that is either very constrained in terms of disk space or is never idle. though.

Perhaps it would be enough to have cleanerd automatically switch priority
based on available free space. For example, if I had
min_clean_segments      10%
max_clean_segments      12%

then also have
min_clean_segments_low_prio	8%

low_prio_nice 19
normal_prio_nice 0

low_prio_ionice_class idle
normal_prio_ionice_class realtime

which woud mean, `use low priority (nice & ionice) when there's at
least 8% of
free segments; if there's less use higher priority' -- so cleanerd would reclaim free space more aggressively when there's little free space left.

I was thinking about something similar. Realtime ionice is OTT, though, I don't think it should ever be ioniced over normal. But yes, I think this would be a good idea.

Gordan