Re: nilfs2 per directory quota

Hi Niccolò,

On Sunday 26 June 2011 11:48:32 you wrote:
> I read nilfs2 does support per directory quota, but I didn't find how to
> achieve it: the few peoples who need directory quota do use xfs.

casually looking through NILFS2 sources, I don't see quota support, but I may
be wrong there. Why isn't XFS a viable option for you, if I may?

> Can you please give me some more info? Is nilfs2 still too much immature
> for a production environment?

I'm using it under light-to medium load for a few months now, both on desktops
and test server. In v2.6.39 it seems rock solid -- but that's just hear-say
evidence.

On caveat applies: under certain workload, current implementation suffer from
high file fragmentation. That workload for me is Bitcoin, which modifies a lot
of data in Berkley DB with pagesize 4kB. Also, BDB in Bitcoin issues fsync()
or similar after every disk write, which creates lots of checkpoints, eating
up diskspace with metadata.

But that's an extreme case; for general use NILFS2 is a-OK.

Regards,
--
dexen deVries

rjbond3rd in http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2692529