Re: nilfs_cleanerd could use some sensible defaults if its conf file is empty...

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 13:49:47 -0700, Alessandro Salvatori wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     my root nilfs2 filesystem filled and trying and editing
> /etc/nilfs_cleanerd.conf resulted in an empty file.
>
> I started the cleanerd but it wasn't freeing up any space.
> Then I converted all of my snapshots back onto checkpoints and removed
> all of my checkpoints.
>
> still nothing.

Did you try '-p' option?

nilfs_cleanerd tries to protect recent checkpoints within the period
specified with "protection_period" parameter.

It is set to one hour by default.  So, the effect of converting
snapshots back to checkpoints will not appear soon.

But, you can shorten this period by using the '-p' option for
emergency.

> Then I created a new nilfs_cleanerd.conf with sensible values in my
> home directory and pointed nilfs_cleanerd to that.
>
> and finally it worked!!!
>
> maybe nilfs_cleanerd could default to some minimum of -say- the least
> between some small amount of gigabytes and some small percentage of
> the disk size as the minimum space to free if no setting is found in
> the configuration file?

The current nilfs_cleanerd.conf has keyword 'min_clean_segments' to
specify percentage of minimum free space, but the effect of
protection_period is prior to that.

So, adding another parameter sounds worth considering as you pointed
out.

For instance,

 emerg_clean_segments     5%    # override protection_period
 min_clean_segments      10%
 max_clean_segments      20%

Am I on the right track?

Thanks,