Re: Problem report: cannot run nilfs_cleanerd on full filesystem

Hi,

On Saturday 19 of March 2011 23:01:57 you wrote:
> I presume that /mnt/x/.nilfs is a node on the mounted FS? Shouldn't that
> node be present allways and thus doesn't need to be created? or is it
> deleted first and then recreated resulting in an error since the FS is
> full? ;)
>
> BSD traditionally save some inodes/blocks for the superuser. Maybe some
> blocks could be reserved for the nilfs_cleanerd to work with? even if only
> a few? Depending on the uid/guid of the program?

You are right about the `.nilfs'.

I botched testing; I've removed the .nilfs file by a mistake. *that* caused
nilfs_cleanerd not to start on a full filesystem -- because it cannot create
the `.nilfs' file in its root directory.

The problem will thus appear when both:
1) filesystem is full
2) the `.nilfs' file is not present
3) nilfs_cleanerd is re-started (for example reboot).

Not very likely to happen in practice, but not very cool either.

As for reserved blocks, that's an ugly solution IMHO. And so is delete-proofing
the on-disk `.nilfs' file. But perhaps the `.nilfs' could be made a virtual
file, maintained by the NILFS2 driver rathre than a plain on-disk object?

Another possibility would be to represent each mounted filesystem somewhere in
/sys hierarchy, so an read-write filedescriptor could be obtained without use
of a magic file on the filesystem proper.

Regards,
--
dexen deVries

``One can't proceed from the informal to the formal by formal means.''