Re: ANNOUNCE: TimeBrowse 0.1 released

Hi,

2011/2/4 Jiro SEKIBA <jir@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi!
>
> I'm pleased to announce the release of "TimeBrowse".
> http://timebrowse.sourceforge.net/
>
> TimeBrowse is a set of programs that enable Windows VSS like
> view in Nautilus PropertyPage against NILFS snapshots.
>
> There are two parts of programs in TimeBrowse, one is Nautilus Extension
> to browse history of specific file in NILFS volume and snapshots.
> The other is a daemon process which watches NILFS volumes.
>
> The extension scans mtab and find active NILFS volume and snapshot mounts.
> If the file is in the active NILFS volume, it tries to find the snapshot
> mounts of the volume.  If there are snapshot mounts, find the specified
> file and list the history of the file based on different modified time.
>
> The daemon scans checkpoints at interval of short period.
> When new checkpoints are created, it turns checkpoints to snapshots
> and mounts the snapshots to specified directory automatically.
>
> I'm thinking to make them communicate via dbus in future, like for removing
> snapshots from property view.  However those programs are completely
> independent from others so far, so you can use either one of them.
>
> This is still pre-alpha version.
> It won't hurt your system but also may not so useful yet.
>
> Any kind of feedbacks are welcome!
>
> enjoy!
> --
> Jiro SEKIBA <jir@xxxxxxxxx>

Great!

This sounds like giving what the current our project is lacking.

The followings are comments that I noticed for the moment:

- There is a name mismatch between nilfs2_ss.conf and nilfs_ss.conf;
  nilfs2_ss_manager wanted nilfs_ss.conf as its default configuration file,
  but nilfs2_ss.conf is provided in the package.

  I personally think "nilfs" is preferable to "nilfs2" whenever it actually
  doesn't depend on the filesystem version such as mount or disk utilities.

- The following error happened when I ran the snapshot manager.
  My python version is 2.7.1+ and yaml version is 3.09

 $ sudo ./nilfs2_ss_manager

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./nilfs2_ss_manager", line 141, in <module>
    conf = yaml.safe_load(open(conffile))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/__init__.py", line 75,
in safe_load
    return load(stream, SafeLoader)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/__init__.py", line 58, in load
    return loader.get_single_data()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/constructor.py", line
42, in get_single_data
    node = self.get_single_node()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/composer.py", line 39,
in get_single_node
    if not self.check_event(StreamEndEvent):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/parser.py", line 93, in
check_event
    self.current_event = self.state()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/parser.py", line 169, in
parse_document_start
    self.peek_token().start_mark)
yaml.parser.ParserError: expected '<document start>', but found
'<block mapping start>'
  in "/etc/nilfs_ss.conf", line 14, column 1

- I cloned the following git tree instead of downloading the tar ball.

  git://timebrowse.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/timebrowse/timebrowse

  It works fine, but looks git tag is missing.  It's helpful to mark
  the commit on which you made a release.

  $ git tag -a v0.1

Cheers,
Ryusuke Konishi