Re: production ready?

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 07:55:44 -0500, Dwight Schauer wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 7:25 AM, Jérôme Poulin <jeromepoulin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On my side, it is on my laptop /home partition for a bit more than a year...
>
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Ryusuke Konishi
> <konishi.ryusuke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > NILFS2 is almost stable.  We have a record of nine months operation on
> > in-house samba servers and a webDAV server.
>
> OK, Thanks.
>
> There is still still warning when mounting verbosely though:
>   mount.nilfs2: WARNING! - The NILFS on-disk format may change at any time.
>   mount.nilfs2: WARNING! - Do not place critical data on a NILFS filesystem.
>
> As per the first message, Is the on disk format expected to change any
> time soon?

Well, I don't want to change disk format in a way that breaks
compatibility.  I'm considering to remove the above message at the
next utility release.

We still have potential to break compatibility to implement essential
features like extended attribute/posix ACLs.  However, I think
influential change should be carefully avoided or limited to the
minimum at this stage.

> In other words, what is the likelihood of my using NILFS
> when 2.6.35.x, then having some future kernel upgrade render my NILFS
> formatted filesystems un-mountable because the on-disk format changed?

I hope this never happens.  We have already started to use nilfs2 for
in-house systems.  My mention above is about forward-compatibility
(i.e. ability that older implementations can read the partition
generated by newer version), I won't break backward-compatibility
except for some extraordinary reason.

Thanks,
Ryusuke Konishi