Re: resizing file system

Hi,

At Sat, 18 Sep 2010 01:20:00 +0900 (JST),
Ryusuke Konishi wrote:

> Hi,
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 18:15:59 +0900, Jiro SEKIBA wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think it would be good to have a generic libraries for other user land tools,
> > like parted, for the purpose to modify/tweek file system off line.
> > At least, resize/fsck/mkfs are the generic functionalities that parted
> > can handle.  So it's good if there is a library that can perform
> > those things to avoid implementing same thing all over the place.
> >
> > One big problem for parted is that parted is GPL3 and libnilfs2 is GPL2 X).
> > Still, contributers of libnilfs2 are countable, so maybe we can get agreements
> > from all contributers to change licence to LGPL2, isn't it?
>
> Definitely yes.  I think we should migrate the licence of the library
> to LGPL2.
>
> One practical problem is that some of the source files derive the
> kernel code, and they are licensed under GPLv2.
>
> For example, nilfs2_fs.h and crc32.c are just such ones.
>
> Do you think we need replacement for these?

We could choose to change the licence as LGPL like mqueue.h (*1).
However, we may be able to think that license of nilfs2_fs.h won't affect
license of user land tools.  At least, Linus stated that "There's a
clarification that user-space programs that use the standard system call
interfaces aren't considered derived works, ..." (*2).

*1) http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob_plain;f=include/linux/mqueue.h;hb=HEAD
*2) http://kerneltrap.org/node/1735

While, crc32.c must be replaced other implementation :(.
I'll search lgpled implementation.

thanks,

regards,

Jiro SEKIBA <jir@xxxxxxxxx>