Re: newbie question

I don't know nilfs2 internals, but it occurs to me that a "forward" or "leap frog" mechanism might work too.

That is, if a file system is in a state at time T(0), and is in another state at time T(1), then what I'm looking for is the ability to return to a read-write file system with state T(0).

One way to do that might be to "roll back" from state T(1), thereby discarding state T(1). But another way to accomplish this might be to surgically construct a state T(2) which occurs after T(1) and was identical to T(0), leaving T(1) available as a read-only snapshot.

We do this in source control. Rather than backing out a particular change to your source tree, many source control systems require you to commit a reverse diff. This creates a new revision, but a new revision which is identical to an earlier revision which has the apparent affect of removing a change.

I don't know if this would be any easier, but it's a thought.

--rich