Re: NILFS2 on an Intel X25-M SSD

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 21:44:17 +0100, "Carlos R. Mafra" wrote:
> The partition has 150 GB, so perhaps NILFS2 thinks that there
> is "enough free space" and did not care too much about
> deleting the old data. But I thought that what would matter
> most is the protection_period from /etc/nilfs_cleanerd.conf (3600)...

No, no, I meant the current GC of NILFS2 does not see how much free
space is left.  It just monotonically works unless user changes GC
parameters with a HUP signal.

> I must have understood it incorrectly, because I thought that after
> 3600 secs after deleting those 10 GB the partition would shrink to 90 GB
> "quickly" (like in 1-2 hours). Than after those 1-2 hours my old
> data would be forever gone.
>
> So that was my odd feeling about NILFS2. I would not necessarily
> say that it is a "problem" because if one is not using an external
> hard disk then eventually there will be enough time to clean things
> up, but it feels like it could be better. I have even read some
> emails from the archives where people had problems with a full
> partition even though they knew they had free space.
>
> To test it a bit more, I increased nsegments_per_clean to 12,
> decreased protection_period to 60 and cleaning_interval to 2,
> but now the cleanerd was using like 15% of CPU and it was not
> cleaning the data much faster (I don't remember the numbers).
>
> So what is more important to NILFS2, the notion of "free space
> left" or the protection_period setting?

"free space left" should be cared, but the current GC does not as I
mentioned above.

So, the protection_period setting is the most important.  The next is
GC speed given by cleaning_interval and nsegments_per_clean (tweaking
cleaning_interval seems preferable because increasing
nsegments_per_clean causes a burst of memory allocation).

Cheers,
Ryusuke Konishi