Harddisk not going to standby when using NILFS

Hi,

I just started using NILFS on two of my "backup" disks just to give
NILFS a try. Initially I plan to test having daily backups on these
disks (I know this is not a typical use scenario for NILFS, but anyhow
it is a way of starting with NILFS).

To my problem... I discovered that when using NILFS the hard disk
never seems to enter the 'standby' power-saving state; it remains in
the 'active/idle' state, which causes extra noise and power usage.
(Which is bad since I like things when they are quiet :-)
I then tried mounting one of the disks without the cleanerd, but still
both disks remain in the 'active/idle' state. And yes, I waited
sufficiently long for the drives to enter the standby state.

Does anyone know of a workaround to get the disks to enter the
'standby' power state when using NILFS? (And not by forcing disks to
that state by using hdparm.)

In case it is the cleanerd causing the disks not to spin down, is
there perhaps a way to trigger running the "cleanerd" only a few times
per day? In my usage scenario there is no point in constantly checking
for garbage on the disks.

On a secondary note, when I tried to remount the second disk to not
use cleanerd I got the following message:
  umount.nilfs2: cleanerd (pid=2160) still exists on /dev/sdb1.
waiting.....failed
  umount.nilfs2: /mnt/sdb1: device is busy
  umount.nilfs2: cleanerd (pid=2160) still exists on /dev/sdb1.
waiting.....failed
  umount.nilfs2: /mnt/sdb1: device is busy
Which is a bit strange, since as far as I know, no files where in use
from that disk and no bash/shell running from directories on that
disk. I did not help to try forcing the umount either.

Thanks in advance,
  Markus Lindgren