Re: Question about different gid management between versions

On Wed, Aug 30, 2023 at 2:17 AM J David <j.david.lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We have existing NFS servers based on Debian Bookworm that run
> nfs-kernel-server 1.3.4.  We have recently stood up some Debian
> Bullseye fileservers, which come with 2.6.2.

Of course I got those versions backwards. The old ones are Bullseye,
the new ones are Bookworm. :-P

Also, for giggles, I tried installing the Bullseye 1.3.4 packages on
Bookworm.  Somewhat surprisingly, that did work.  But it didn't affect
the issue at all. I guess that might imply that the change is
something to do with the bits of NFS built into the kernel, rather
than the nfs-kernel-server stuff? Operating at the outer limits of my
knowledge here!

FWIW, the kernel is 5.10.0-25-amd64 on the old machines and
6.1.0-11-amd64 on the new ones.

This does make me think I'm going to have to reinstall those Bookworm
servers with Bullseye, at least for now.  Unless maybe somebody here
who knows a lot more than me has a brilliant idea.