rpc.mountd & manage-gids behaviour change?

Hi,

We have lots of Linux storage servers running combinations of RHEL7,
RHEL8 and more recently RHEL9. We also use "manage-gids" and have lots
of groups of users and apply permissions to directories on the
exported filesystems.

We also use sssd and AD/LDAP on these storage servers to resolve the
groups and do the user lookups. This setup has worked great for our
needs for many years but we have noticed a change in RHEL9 which
results in many more uid/gid lookups hitting our LDAP servers.

It seems like with RHEL7 & 8 era kernels and nfs-utils, sssd/nss would
receive a single request from rpc.mountd whereas with RHEL9 we now get
duplicated requests for each rpc.mountd thread (8 by default) even for
a single client mount. So 8 uid/gid requests hit sssd at the same
time, and because it's not in cache, all those 8 requests go out over
the wire to our AD server.

So for lookups not in the cache, we have 8 times more requests hitting
our LDAP servers. Not to mention that sssd sometimes crashes or loses
connectivity with the LDAP server with this increased load.

I had a look through the changes for linux-nfs but nothing jumped out
at me in that time frame (other than code to make exportd
multi-threaded). Does anyone have any ideas where this change of
behaviour might be coming from?

RHEL9: nfs-utils-2.5.4
RHEL8: nfs-utils-2.3.3

Cheers,