Re: NFS workload leaves nfsd threads in D state

On Sat, Jul 08, 2023 at 06:30:26PM +0000, Chuck Lever III wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I have a "standard" test of running the git regression suite with
> many threads against an NFS mount. I found that with 6.5-rc, the
> test stalled and several nfsd threads on the server were stuck
> in D state.

Can you paste the exact reproducer here?

> I can reproduce this stall 100% with both an xfs and an ext4
> export, so I bisected with both, and both bisects landed on the
> same commit:

> On system 1: the exports are on top of /dev/mapper and reside on
> an "INTEL SSDSC2BA400G3" SATA device.
>
> On system 2: the exports are on top of /dev/mapper and reside on
> an "INTEL SSDSC2KB240G8" SATA device.
>
> System 1 was where I discovered the stall. System 2 is where I ran
> the bisects.

Ok. I'd be curious if this reproducers without either device mapper
or on a non-SATA device.  If you have an easy way to run it in a VM
that'd be great.  Otherwise I'll try to recreate it in various
setups if you post the exact reproducer.