Re: Too many ENOSPC errors

On Mon, 2023-06-12 at 16:20 -0400, Jeff Layton wrote:
> On Mon, 2023-06-12 at 19:53 +0000, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> > > No. Most software doesn't check for errors on close(), and for
> > > good
> > > reason: there's no requirement that any data be written back
> > > before
> > > close() returns. A successful return is meaningless.
> > >
> > > It turns out that NFSv4 (usually) writes back the data before a
> > > close
> > > returns, but you don't want to rely on that.

> > > I think the problem is in some of the changes to write that have
> > > come
> > > into play since then. They tried to use errseq_t to track errors
> > > over
> > > small window, but the underlying infrastructure is not quite
> > > suited
> > > for
> > > that at the moment.
> > >
> > > I think we can get there though by carving another flag bit out
> > > of
> > > the
> > > counter in the errseq_t. I'm working on a patch for that now.
> > >

> > The current NFS client code tries to do its best to match the
> > description in the manpages for how errors are reported: we try to
> > report them exactly once, either in write() or fsync().
> > We do still return errors on close(), but that kind of
> > opportunistic
> > error return makes sure to use filemap_check_wb_err() so that we
> > don't
> > break the write() + fsync() documented semantics.
> >
> > The issue of picking up errors using errseq_sample() before even
> > any
> > I/O has been attempted has been raised before, but AFAIK, the
> > current
> > behaviour does actually match the promises made in the manpages,
> > and it
> > matches what can happen with other filesystems.
> > I don't want to special case the NFS client, because that just
> > leads to
> > people getting confused as to whether or not it will work correctly
> > with applications such as postgresql.
> >

> The point here would be to bring NFS more into line with how other
> filesystems behave. As Chris pointed out, other filesystems don't
> report
> an error on a new write() just because there was an earlier, unseen
> writeback error on the same inode.

That's not quite true.

generic_write_sync() will return whatever vfs_fsync_range() returns, so
anything involving O_DSYNC or O_SYNC or the newer pwritev2() RFW_DSYNC
/ RFW_SYNC flags has the potential to behave just like NFS.

The difference is that NFS can do this with ordinary buffered writes
too.

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer, Hammerspace