Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] BoF for nfsd

> On Apr 13, 2023, at 10:05 AM, Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 06:27:07PM +0000, Chuck Lever III wrote:
>> I'd like to request some time for those interested specifically
>> in NFSD to gather and discuss some topics. Not a network file
>> system free-for-all, but specifically for NFSD, because there
>> is a long list of potential topics:
>>
>>    • Progress on using iomap for NFSD READ/READ_PLUS (anna)
>>    • Replacing nfsd_splice_actor (all)
>>    • Transition from page arrays to bvecs (dhowells, hch)
>
> - Using larger folios instead of single pages; maybe this is the same
>   discussion.

Though quite pertinent to NFSD, I don't think it is the same
discussion.

The page array in question is xdr_buf::pages, which today is
used to build an RPC message and then pass it to the network
layer. bvecs would be the shiny new way to pass those messages to
the network layer. This discussion is closely related to the
iterator work that David has embarked upon.

Last time I brought up the use of folios, you told me that folios
don't do well when a large folio is broken up into pages before
the pages are returned to the allocator. We absolutely can
discuss where folios can play with NFSD and how that changes
NFSD's interaction with the page cache and filesystems. That
might be more akin to the "replacing splice_actor" discussion?

--
Chuck Lever