Re: [Lsf-pc] LSF

On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 9:14 AM Gatsi Trymore <gtrymore@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Good  Day Attendees
>

> My name is Gatsi Trymore. I work for an Astronomy organization which
> facilitates the  biggest scientific project (MeerKAT Telescope) in
> South Africa. I am part of the Software Team and I work as a Senior
> Software Site Support Engineer at The South African Radio Astronomy
> Observatory (SARAO, https://www.sarao.ac.za) not only facilitates the
> MeerKAT telescope but also facilitates other projects such as the
> Geodesy and VLBI activities. SARAO contributes to the infrastructure
> and engineering planning for the future Square Kilometer Array (SKA)
> Radio Telescope. SKA when completed will be the biggest radio
> telescope in the world. I am part of this exciting project!
>

> I hold a BSc (Honours) in Information Systems Degree. I am a certified
> RedHat Systems Administrator(RHCSA) as well as an RedHat Certified
> Engineer(RHCE). I have been working with Linux Servers for
> approximately nine years. I have worked with RedHat Linux and Ubuntu(
> Debian) Systems as well as the Proxmox Virtual Environment. I have
> experience configuring the Network File System (NFS server) technology
> in a client-server environment. At the moment we are running Ubuntu
> 22.04 on our NFS servers and Ubuntu 20.04 on the NFS client all
> running NVFSv4.
>
> I use automation tools like ansible and python scripting to automate
> some tasks to reduce mistakes and also enhance our working processes
> as well as for configuration management.
>
> On Linux servers I implement hardware RAID systems on Dell servers. I
> create Linux file systems on disk partitions and configure Logical
> Volume Management on Linux amongst other tasks. I also create Ceph
> storage clusters on our Linux servers.This is done to have the
> flexibility to expand storage volumes and capabilities on our servers
> for optimisation purposes.
>

> Having been in the field for almost a decade, I would like to
> contribute the knowledge I have gained working as a Linux
> administrator.  To contribute ideas to the Linux development community
>  as well as to share challenges and complexities that I have
> encountered during my journey. I would like to impact the community in
> this regard.
>
> I also look forward to learning from my fellow peers as well as to
> improving my Linux systems at my workplace with possibly learning
> about better technologies or methods to take advantage of the new
> improvements in the new Linux kernels.
>

> I am very well acquainted with the Network File System(NFS) and would
> like to share this knowledge. Please grant me the opportunity to do
> so.
>

> Network File System (NFS) is a networking protocol for distributed
> file sharing. A file system defines the way data in the form of files
> is stored and retrieved from storage devices, such as hard disk
> drives, solid-state drives and tape drives.
>

>  NFS is a network file sharing protocol that defines the way files are
> [...]

Hi Gatsi,

LSFMM is a summit for Linux kernel developers to discuss development
issues. This is not a summit to bring up ideas.

If you are not a contributor to Linux kernel or have never posted patches
for Linux kernel, you will not receive an invitation to attend.

If you have ideas for NFS development you can post them to the
NFS devel mailing list to get feedback.

Thanks,
Amir.