Re: NFSD: refcount_t: underflow; use-after-free from nfsd_file_free

[TLDR: This mail in primarily relevant for Linux kernel regression
tracking. See link in footer if these mails annoy you.]

On 09.01.23 00:23, dai.ngo@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On 1/8/23 2:23 AM, Jeff Layton wrote:
>> On Sat, 2023-01-07 at 14:04 -0800, dai.ngo@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This is a regression in 6.2.0-rc1.
>>>
>>> The problem can be reproduced with a simple test:
>>> . client mounts server's export using 4.1
>>> . client cats a file on server's export
>>> . on server stop nfs-server service
>>>
>>> Bisect points to commit ac3a2585f018 (nfsd: rework refcounting in
>>> filecache)
>>>
>>> -Dai
>>>

>> This looks like the same problem that 789e1e10f214 ("nfsd: shut down the
>> NFSv4 state objects before the filecache") is intended to fix. That
>> patch was not in -rc1. Can you test a kernel that does have that patch
>> and let us know if it fixes this?
>
> Sorry Jeff, it's my bad. This is fixed in 6.2-rc3.

In that case:

#regzbot fix: 789e1e10f214

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
That page also explains what to do if mails like this annoy you.

#regzbot ignore-activity