Re: Problems with NFS4.1 on ESXi

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 11:03:17PM +0000, Rick Macklem wrote:
> J. Bruce Fields <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Actually (sorry I'm slow to understand this)--why would our 4.1 server
> > ever be returning STALE on a close?  We normally hold a reference to the
> > file.
> Well, OPEN_RESULT_PRESERVE_UNLINKED is not set in the Open reply,
> so even if it normally does so, it is not telling the ESXi client that it
> will retain it.

Yeah, we don't guarantee it, but I thought in this cases we did.  The
object we use to represent the open stateid (indirectly) holds a
reference on the inode that prevents it from being removed, so the
filehandle lookup should still work.  If I had the time, I'd write an
open-rename over-close test in pynfs and see if we could reproduce this,
and if so see what's happening.

> > Oh, wait, is subtree_check set on the export?  You don't want to do
> > that.  (The freebsd server probably doesn't even give that as an
> > option?)
> Nope, Never heard of it.

It adds a reference to the parent into the filehandle, so we can foil
filehandle-guessing attacks on exports of subdirectories of filesystems.
With the major drawback that it breaks on cross-directory rename, for
example.  So it's not the default.

--b.