Re: 6f283634 / 1976b2b3 breaks NFS (QNAP/Linux kNFSD)

On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 11:24:41PM +0100, Kurt Garloff wrote:
> Hi Olga,
>
> On 23/02/2022 18:56, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 8:20 AM Kurt Garloff <kurt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Hi Olga,
> > >
> > > any updates? Were you able to investigate the traces?
> > >
> > > Breaking NFS mounts from Qnap (knfsd with 3.4.6 kernel here,
> > > though Qnap might have patched it),is not something that
> > > should happen with a -stable kernel update, even if the problem
> > > would be on the Qnap side, which would not be completely
> > > surprising.
> > >
> > > So I think we should revert this patch at least for -stable,
> > > unless we understand what's going on and have a better fix
> > > than a plain revert.
> > I haven't commented on your ask of requesting a revert in the stable
> > version. I'm not sure what the philosophy there. I don't see why we
> > can't ask for this feature to only be available from the kernel
> > version it has been accepted into and not before. If you think the
> > kernel version that you want to use will always be before this feature
> > was accepted, then asking folks responsible for "stable" kernels seems
> > like a good idea. At the time of inclusion to stable, I wasn't aware
> > of the broken legacy server implementations out there.
>
> I guess Greg would need to comment on the detailed policies
> for stable kernels.
> One of the goals for sure is to avoid regressions. If that causes
> bugs not to be fixable or features not to be available, than that's
> a price that might need to be accepted. A regression is just many many
> times worse than an unfixed issue, twice so for something that claims
> to be stable.

The policy for the stable kernel releases is the same as for Linus's
releases, "no user visible regressions are allowed".

There is no difference here, if something changes in one of Linus's
releases that breaks a working system, then it needs to be fixed.  The
stable kernels are not unique here at all.  Any user must be able to
always upgrade to a new kernel version without having to worry about
anything breaking.

So if there is a kernel change in Linus's tree that breaks existing
systems, it needs to be reverted or fixed to not do this.

thanks,

greg k-h