Re: parallel file create rates (+high latency)

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 08:10:07PM +0000, Daire Byrne wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2022 at 19:38, J. Bruce Fields <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 11:53:08PM +0000, Daire Byrne wrote:
> > > I've been experimenting a bit more with high latency NFSv4.2 (200ms).
> > > I've noticed a difference between the file creation rates when you
> > > have parallel processes running against a single client mount creating
> > > files in multiple directories compared to in one shared directory.
> >
> > The Linux VFS requires an exclusive lock on the directory while you're
> > creating a file.
>
> Right. So when I mounted the same server/dir multiple times using
> namespaces, all I was really doing was making the VFS *think* I wanted
> locks on different directories even though the remote server directory
> was actually the same?

In that scenario the client-side locks are probably all different, but
they'd all have to wait for the same lock on the server side, yes.

> > So, if L is the time in seconds required to create a single file, you're
> > never going to be able to create more than 1/L files per second, because
> > there's no parallelism.
>
> And things like directory delegations can't help with this kind of
> workload? You can't batch directories locks or file creates I guess.

Alas, there are directory delegations specified in RFC 8881, but they
are read-only, and nobody's implemented them.

Directory write delegations could help a lot, if they existed.

> > So, it's not surprising you'd get a higher rate when creating in
> > multiple directories.
> >
> > Also, that lock's taken on both client and server.  So it makes sense
> > that you might get a little more parallelism from multiple clients.
> >
> > So the usual advice is just to try to get that latency number as low as
> > possible, by using a low-latency network and storage that can commit
> > very quickly.  (An NFS server isn't permitted to reply to the RPC
> > creating the new file until the new file actually hits stable storage.)
> >
> > Are you really seeing 200ms in production?
>
> Yea, it's just a (crazy) test for now. This is the latency between two
> of our offices. Running batch jobs over this kind of latency with a
> NFS re-export server doing all the caching works surprisingly well.
>
> It's just these file creations that's the deal breaker. A batch job
> might create 100,000+ files in a single directory across many clients.
>
> Maybe many containerised re-export servers in round-robin with a
> common cache is the only way to get more directory locks and file
> creates in flight at the same time.

ssh into the original server and crate the files there?

I've got no help, sorry.

The client-side locking does seem redundant to some degree, but I don't
know what to do about it.

--b.