Re: GSSAPI as it relates to NFS

On Sat, Dec 25, 2021 at 10:53:33PM +0000, Chuck Lever III wrote:
> IIRC Linux requires that a mount operation be done by root. If you run
> gssd with "-n", become root, then kinit as yourself, I think it should
> work.
>
> There has been some discussion about enabling a non-privileged user to
> perform a mount... it's a bit tricky because the function of mount is
> to alter the file namespace, which traditionally requires extra
> privilege to do.

The core VFS code is quite happy to allow you to make unprivileged
mounts in your own namespace, but the particular filesystem being
mounted also gets a veto.

I think we're expecting NFS will be patched to allow unprivileged mounts
some time.  See e.g.

	https://lore.kernel.org/linux-nfs/aec219339d8296b7e9b114d9d247a71fd47423c5.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

--b.