Re: NFS4 RPCGSS state protection (SP4_MACH_CRED) is not handled

Well, I tend to agree with you that probably
EXCHGID4_FLAG_BIND_PRINC_STATEID is the root-cause of this particular
corner-case described by RFC.
However I still feel that using the same NFS4 session (established by
EXCHANGE_ID from RPCGSS) from an unprotected state is NOT something we
want to allow.

I understand that the guarantee of protection can happen only when NFS
export allows only RPCGSS flavor (sec=krb5* on export definition and
not 'sys/none'),
so clients are not allowed to use AUTH_UNIX at all (in terms of
security protection).

Bottom line - I still can't find/reproduce some scenario where I can
show this security issue due to missing spo_must_allow support:
1. NFS4 export is allowed only for sec=krb5i:krb5p (i.e. safe
protection for clients' traffic).
2. Client1 makes NFS4.1 requests with gss_service_integrity (krb5i) to
establish client+session and does some operation with a file (stateid
is created). Client2 is able to monitor all this traffic (because the
traffic is not encoded).
3. Client2 can send some NFS4 request with AUTH_UNIX (or with
gss_service_none=krb5 request - leaving RPC header from a packet
caught from client1 but replacing NFS4 body)
to make a harm/additional information disclosure for client1
(offensive action): like close the stateid from the scope of the
session by client1, write corrupted data to the same stateid, corrupt
the session/client, etc.

In this scenario AUTH_UNIX requests on step3 may be replied by
WRONGSEC error from the server if client2 uses put filehandle, lookup
or open with a name operation (only in this case server is allowed to
use this error).
Otherwise, all other operations cannot return WRONGSEC so AUTH_UNIX
packet must be accepted and processed. But indeed - it's too hard to
find some intrusive/offensive operation without putfh/lookup/open.

Probably I need more time to try it and think a bit more...

volodymyr.