Re: NFS client pNFS handling of NFS4ERR_NOSPC

On Sun, 2021-11-07 at 00:03 +0000, Rick Macklem wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I ran a simple test using a Linux 5.12 client NFSv4.2 mount
> against a FreeBSD pNFS server, where the DS is out of space
> (intentionally, by creating a large file on it).
>
> I tried to write a file on the Linux NFS client mount and the
> mount point gets "stuck" (will not <ctrl>C nor "umount -f").
> --> The client is attempting writes against the DS repeatedly,
>        with the DS replying NFS4ERR_NOSPC. (Same byte offsets,
>        over and over and over again.)
> --> The client is repeatedly sending RPCs with LayoutError in
>        them to the MDS, reporting the NFS4ERR_NOSPC.
>
> I'll leave it up to others, but failing the program trying to
> write the file with ENOSPC would seem preferable to the
> "stuck" mount?
> --> Removing the large file from the DS so that the Writes
>       can succeed does cause the client to recover.

The client expectation is that the MDS will either remedy the
situation, or it will return an appropriate application-level error to
the LAYOUTGET.

What we do not expect is for the client to have to handle DS level
errors.

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer, Hammerspace