Re: Spurious instability with NFSoRDMA under moderate load

On 29.10.2021 17:14, Chuck Lever III wrote:
Hi Timo-

On Oct 29, 2021, at 7:47 AM, Timo Rothenpieler <timo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 20/08/2021 17:12, Chuck Lever III wrote:
OK, I think the issue with this reproducer was resolved
completely with 6820bf77864d.
I went back and reviewed the traces from when the client got
stuck after a long uptime. This looks very different from
what we're seeing with 6820bf77864d. It involves CB_PATH_DOWN
and BIND_CONN_TO_SESSION, which is a different scenario. Long
story short, I don't think we're getting any more value by
leaving 6820bf77864d reverted.
Can you re-apply that commit on your server, and then when
the client hangs again, please capture with:
# trace-cmd record -e nfsd -e sunrpc -e rpcrdma
I'd like to see why the client's BIND_CONN_TO_SESSION fails
to repair the backchannel session.

Happened again today, after a long time of no issues.
Still on 5.12.19, since the system did not have a chance for a bigger maintenance window yet.

Attached are traces from both client and server, while the client is trying to do the usual xfs_io copy_range.
The system also has a bunch of other users and nodes working on it at this time, so there's a good chance for unrelated noise in the traces.

The affected client is 10.110.10.251.
Other clients are working just fine, it's only this one client that's affected.

There was also quite a bit of heavy IO work going on on the Cluster, which I think coincides with the last couple times this happened as well.<nfstrace.tar.xz>

Thanks for the report. We believe this issue has been addressed in v5.15-rc:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=02579b2ff8b0becfb51d85a975908ac4ab15fba8

5.15 is a little too bleeding edge for my comfort to roll out on a production system. But the patch applies cleanly on top of 5.12.19. So I pulled it and am now running the resulting kernel on all clients and the server(s).

Hopefully won't see this happen again from now on, thanks!

Timo