Re: server-to-server copy by default

On 10/20/21 1:29 PM, Bruce Fields wrote:

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 12:03:46PM -0700, dai.ngo@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On 10/20/21 9:33 AM, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:
On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 12:00 PM Chuck Lever III <chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2. Security question: with server-to-server copy enabled, you can send
the server a COPY call with any random address, and the server will
mount that address, open a file, and read from it.  Is that safe?
The client already has write access to the share on the destination
server, it can write any data to the destination file.
Agreed.  Please look back at what I said; I'm not thinking about attacks
on the source server, I'm thinking about attacks on the destination (the
one that receives the COPY).

Sorry for missing you point. If I understand correctly, your concern is
that a malicious client can direct the destination server to mount a
malicious source server that can generate DOS attack to the destination
server.

The attack can come from the replies of the source server or requests
from the source server to the destination server via the back channel.
One of possible attack in the reply is BAD_STATEID which was handled
by the client code as mentioned by Olga.

Here is the list of NFS requests made from the destination to the
source server:

        EXCHANGE_ID
        CREATE_SESSION
        RECLAIM_COMLETE
        SEQUENCE
        PUTROOTFH
        PUTHF
        GETFH
        GETATTR
        READ/READ_PLUS
        DESTROY_SESSION
        DESTROY_CLIENTID

Do you think we should review all replies from these requests to make
sure error replies do not cause problems for the destination server?

same for the back channel ops:

        OP_CB_GETATTR
        OP_CB_RECALL
        OP_CB_LAYOUTRECALL