Re: server-to-server copy by default

> On Oct 20, 2021, at 2:15 PM, Bruce Fields <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 05:45:58PM +0000, Chuck Lever III wrote:

>>> How about adding a piece then on the server (a policy) that would only
>>> control that? The concept behind the server-to-server was that servers
>>> might have a private/fast network between them that they would want to
>>> utilize. A more restrictive policy could be to only allow predefined
>>> network space to do the COPY? I know that more work. But sound like
>>> perhaps it might be something that provides more control to the
>>> server.
>>>
>>> But as Chuck pointed out perhaps the kerberos piece would make this
>>> concern irrelevant.
>>
>> I like the idea of having a server-side policy setting that
>> controls whether s2sc is permitted, and maybe establishes a
>> range of IP addresses allowed to be destination servers.
>
> Maybe, but:
>
> 	1) Couldn't you get something awfully close to that with
> 	firewall configuration?

Not if the s2sc policy setting is on each export.

> 	2) I'm getting asked why server-side copy isn't on by default.

And your answer to that was "we haven't figured out how to
guarantee security when it's enabled".

> 	So I guess the requirement to set inter_copy_offload_enable is
> 	too much.  How does requiring more complicated configuration
> 	answer that concern?

It answers the concern by letting local administrators choose
to enable or disable s2sc based on their own security needs.

> 	3) There's interest in allowing unprivileged NFS mounts.  That's
> 	more of a security risk than this.  What's the client
> 	maintainers' judgement about unprivileged NFS mounts?  Do they
> 	think that would be safe to allow by default in distros?  If so,
> 	then we're certainly fine here.

Unprivileged mounting seems like a different question to me.
Related, possibly, but not the same. I'd rather leave that
discussion to another thread.

--
Chuck Lever