Re: Spurious instability with NFSoRDMA under moderate load

On 8/17/21 3:55 PM, dai.ngo@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On 8/17/21 2:51 PM, Timo Rothenpieler wrote:
On 17.08.2021 23:08, Chuck Lever III wrote:
I tried reproducing this using your 'xfs_io -fc "copy_range
testfile" testfile.copy' reproducer, but couldn't.

A network capture shows that the client tries CLONE first. The
server reports that's not supported, so the client tries COPY.
The COPY works, and the reply shows that the COPY was synchro-
nous. Thus there's no need for a callback, and I'm not tripping
over backchannel misbehavior.

Make sure the testfile is of sufficient size. I'm not sure what the threshold is, but if it's too small, it'll just do a synchronous copy for me as well.
I'm using a 50MB file in my tests.

The threshold for intra-server copy is (2*rsize) of the source server.

The threshold for inter-server copy is (14*rsize). This restriction is to be removed in the next merge.

e-Dai

Any copy smaller than this is done synchronously.

-Dai

The export I'm using is an xfs filesystem. Did you already
report the filesystem type you're testing against? I can't
find it in the thread.

If there's a way to force an offload-style COPY, let me know.

Oh. Also I looked at what might have been pulled into the
linux-5.12.y kernel between .12 and .19, and I don't see
anything that's especially relevant to either COPY_OFFLOAD
or backchannel.

I'm observing this with both an ext4 and zfs filesystem.
Can easily test xfs as well if desired.

Are you testing this on a normal network, or with RDMA? With normal tcp, I also can't observe this issue(it doesn't time out the backchannel in the first place), it only happens in RDMA mode.
I'm using Mellanox ConnectX-4 cards in IB mode for my tests.