Re: Spurious instability with NFSoRDMA under moderate load

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 1:30 PM Chuck Lever III <chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On Aug 11, 2021, at 12:20 PM, Timo Rothenpieler <timo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > resulting dmesg and trace logs of both client and server are attached.
> >
> > Test procedure:
> >
> > - start tracing on client and server
> > - mount NFS on client
> > - immediately run 'xfs_io -fc "copy_range testfile" testfile.copy' (which succeeds)
> > - wait 10~15 minutes for the backchannel to time out (still running 5.12.19 with the fix for that reverted)
> > - run xfs_io command again, getting stuck now
> > - let it sit there stuck for a minute, then cancel it
> > - run the command again
> > - while it's still stuck, finished recording the logs and traces
>
> The server tries to send CB_OFFLOAD when the offloaded copy
> completes, but finds the backchannel transport is not connected.
>
> The server can't report the problem until the client sends a
> SEQUENCE operation, but there's really no other traffic going
> on, so it just waits.
>
> The client eventually sends a singleton SEQUENCE to renew its
> lease. The server replies with the SEQ4_STATUS_BACKCHANNEL_FAULT
> flag set at that point. Client's recovery is to destroy that
> session and create a new one. That appears to be successful.
>
> But the server doesn't send another CB_OFFLOAD to let the client
> know the copy is complete, so the client hangs.
>
> This seems to be peculiar to COPY_OFFLOAD, but I wonder if the
> other CB operations suffer from the same "failed to retransmit
> after the CB path is restored" issue. It might not matter for
> some of them, but for others like CB_RECALL, that could be
> important.

Thank you for the analysis Chuck (btw I haven't seen any attachments
with Timo's posts so I'm assuming some offline communication must have
happened).
?
I'm looking at the code and wouldn't the mentioned flags be set on the
CB_SEQUENCE operation?  nfsd4_cb_done() has code to mark the channel
and retry (or another way of saying this, this code should generically
handle retrying whatever operation it is be it CB_OFFLOAD or
CB_RECALL)? Is that not working (not sure if this is  a question or a
statement).... I would think that would be the place to handle this
problem.