Re: CPU stall, eventual host hang with BTRFS + NFS under heavy load

On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 02:38:33PM -0400, hedrick@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Does setting /proc/sys/fs/leases-enable to 0 work while the system is
> up? I was expecting to see lslocks | grep DELE | wc go down. It’s not.
> It’s staying around 1850.

All it should do is prevent giving out *new* delegations.

Best is to set that sysctl on system startup before nfsd starts.

> > On Aug 9, 2021, at 2:30 PM, Timothy Pearson
> > <tpearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > FWIW that's *exactly* what we see.  Eventually, if the server is
> > left alone for enough time, even the login system stops responding
> > -- it's as if the I/O subsystem degrades and eventually blocks
> > entirely.

That's pretty common behavior across a variety of kernel bugs.  So on
its own it doesn't mean the root cause is the same.

--b.