Re: any idea about auto export multiple btrfs snapshots?

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 09:29:01AM +1000, NeilBrown wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2021, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 08:04:57AM +1000, NeilBrown wrote:
> > > On Thu, 24 Jun 2021, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> >
> > One other thing I'm not sure about: how do cold cache lookups of
> > filehandles for (possibly not-yet-mounted) subvolumes work?
>
> Ahhhh...  that's a good point.  Filehandle lookup depends on the target
> filesystem being mounted.  NFS exporting filesystems which are
> auto-mounted on demand would be ... interesting.
>
> That argues in favour of nfsd treating a btrfs filesystem as a single
> filesystem and gaining some knowledge about different subvolumes within
> a filesystem.
>
> This has implications for NFS re-export.  If a filehandle is received
> for an NFS filesystem that needs to be automounted, I expect it would
> fail.

Yeah, that's why this is on my mind.  Currently we can only re-export
filesystems that are explicitly mounted and exported with an fsid=
option.

I had an idea that it would be interesting to run nfsd in a mode where
all it does is re-export everything exported by one single server.  In
theory then you no longer need to do any encapsulation, so you avoid the
maximum-filehandle-length problem.  When you get an unfamiliar
filehandle, you pass it on to the original server and get back an fsid,
and if it's one you haven't seen before you have to cook up a new
vfsmount and stuff somehow.  I ran aground trying to understand how to
do that in a way that wasn't too complicated.

Anyway.

--b.