what defines a TCP connection as new, requiring BindConnectionToSession?

Hi,

I have been doing testing of network partitioning between a
Linux client (5.2.10) and a FreeBSD server and have observed
the following:
- If I unplug a net cable for a few minutes and the plug it
   back in, the Linux client does a TCP "SYN", expects "SYN, ACK"
   and then continues on, using the same port# as before the
   network partitioning.
--> I had assumed the above created a "new connection" that
       will only be bound to the backchannel if a
       BindConnectionToSession is done on it.
Now I am not sure if this is considered a "new connection" or
the same connection (same port#) still bound to the back channel?

I am also wondering about this para. in RFC5661 pg. 493:
   Invoking BIND_CONN_TO_SESSION on a connection already associated with
   the specified session has no effect, and the server MUST respond with
   NFS4_OK, unless the client is demanding changes to the set of
   channels the connection is associated with.  If so, the server MUST
   return NFS4ERR_INVAL.
Since a "new connection" is bound to a session's fore channel by
sending an RPC with Sequence in it, does this imply that a
BindConnectionToSession done on a connection to bind a back channel
after an RPC with Sequence in it has been done on the connection,
must fail with NFS4ERR_INVAL?

As you can see, knowing what constitutes a new TCP connection matters.

Thanks in advance for any help with this, rick