Re: RFC: Approaches to resolve netfs API interface to NFS multiple completions problem

Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  - I don't understand how a folio gets to be partially cached.  Cached
>    should be tracked on a per-folio basis (like dirty or uptodate), not
>    on a per-page basis.  The point of the folio work is that managing
>    memory in page-sized chunks is now too small for good performance.

Consider the following scenario:

 (1) You read two 256K chunks from an nfs file.  These are downloaded from the
     server and cached.

 (2) The nfs inode is dropped from the cache.

 (3) You do a 1M read that includes both 256K chunks.

The VM might create a 1M folio to handle (3) that covers the entire read, but
only half of the data is in the cache; the other half has to be fetched from
the server.

David