nfs kernel server bug

I'm having an issue where the kernel server is dishing out all zeros for file content being read over NFS. The file byte count is correct.
Writing files is fine.
With the same client, a different server works just fine.

I have been trying to pin this down, so far all I know is that the packets from the server actually contain zeros for the file contents.

The troubled server kernel is 5.4.1

Has anyone encountered this or is it just me?