Re: [nfsv4] virtual/permanent bakeathon infrastructure

Happy New Year!!

On 1/4/21 8:56 AM, Chuck Lever wrote:

>> On Jan 4, 2021, at 8:46 AM, Benjamin Coddington <bcodding@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> How are folks feeling about throwing time at a virtual bakeathon?  I had
>> some ideas about how this might be possible by building out a virtual
>> network of OpenVPN clients, and hacked together some infrastructure to make
>> it happen:
>>
>> https://vpn.nfsv4.dev/
>
> My colleague Bill Baker has suggested we aren't going to get the
> rest of the way there until we have an actual event; ie, a moment
> in time where we drop our everyday tasks and focus on testing.
>
> So, I'm all for a virtual event.
>
> We could pick a week, say, the traditional week of Connectathon
> at the end of February.
The last week in Feb 22 to 26 should be do-able...

>> That network exists today, and any systems that are able to join it can use
>> it to test.  There are a number of problems/complications:
>>    - the private network is ipv6-only by design to avoid conflicts with
>>      overused ipv4 private addresses.
>>    - it uses hacked-together PKI to protect the TLS certificates encrypting
>>      the connections
>>    - some implementations of NFS only run on systems that cannot run
>>      OpenVPN software, requiring complicated routing/transalations
>>    - it needs to be re-written from bash to something..  less bash.
>>    - network latencies restrict testing to function; testing performance
>>      doesn't make sense.
>
> And the only RDMA testing we can do is iWARP, which excludes some
> NFS/RDMA implementations.
I would strongly suggest, if you are planning on attending, you
jump on the network Ben has build to deal with any configurations issue.

>> With the ongoing work on NFS over TLS, my thought now is that if there is
>> interest in standing up permanent infrastructure for testing, then that's
>> probably sustainable way forward.  But until implementations mature, its not
>> going to help us host a successful testing event in the near future.
>
> The community does need to integrate TLS testing into these events.
> However at the moment, there are only a very few implementations. I
> don't feel comfortable relying on RPC-over-TLS for general testing
> yet.
Isn't this what these events for? To bring early implementations so they can be harden.
But not having a clue as to the current condition of the RPC-over-TLS code,
I'll leave that up to whomever... BTW, where is the current RPC-over-TLS code?

>> So, the second question -- should we instead work towards implementations of
>> NFS over TLS as a way of creating a more permanent testing infrastructure?
>
> Yes, but given how far away that reality is, we shouldn't delay our
> regular testing with the infrastructure you've set up already.
+1

>> I am aware that I am leaving out a lot of detail here in order to try to
>> start a conversation and perhaps coalesce momentum.Thanks for starting the conversation!

steved.