Re: nfs home directory and google chrome.

> On Oct 7, 2020, at 10:34 AM, Frank Filz <ffilzlnx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We've found that instantly bringing the hammer down on NFSv4 leases has
negative operational consequences in environments where minutes-long
network partitions are part of life.

Extending the lease period impacts the length an NFS server is in grace
after a reboot, so it's not always a good solution.

> Does any other server implement them? If we suggest this as a solution to the Chrome suspend issue, it might be good to assure that the major server vendors implement this.

We think OnTAP does, at least.

> There is a problem with the courtesy locks for this solution though... The clientid is still going to be expired, and the locks are associated with the clientid, so unless we allow courtesy re-instatement of expired clientids, courtesy locks don't actually solve the problem...

An NFSv4 server is not required to expire a lease after the lease period
expires.

A courteous server would simply allow a conflicting lock request to take
an expired lock after a client's lease expired. If no conflicting lock
operations occur, then the missing client could come back and find its
lease state intact (unless of course the server has restarted or purged
the lease for other reasons).

Oracle has an open design document that can be posted here for more
comment and review. We agree that this is much better server behavior
and would like more server implementations to adopt it.

--
Chuck Lever