Re: RPC Pipefs: Frequent parsing errors in client database

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 11:35:56AM +0000, Kraus, Sebastian wrote:
> In consequence, about a week ago, I decided to investigate the problem
> in a deep manner by stracing the rpc.gssd daemon while running.  Since
> then, the segementation violations were gone, but now lots of
> complaints of the following type appear in the system log:
>
>  Jun 19 11:14:00 all rpc.gssd[23620]: ERROR: can't open
>  nfsd4_cb/clnt3bb/info: No such file or directory Jun 19 11:14:00 all
>  rpc.gssd[23620]: ERROR: failed to parse nfsd4_cb/clnt3bb/info
>

> This behaviour seems somehow strange to me.  But, one possible
> explanation could be: The execution speed of rpc.gssd slows down while
> being straced and the "true" reason for the segmentation violations
> pops up.  I would argue, rpc.gssd trying to parse non-existing files
> points anyway to an insane and defective behaviour of the RPC GSS user
> space daemon implementation.

Those files under rpc_pipefs come and go.  rpc.gssd monitors directories
under rpc_pipefs to learn about changes, and then tries to parse the
files under any new directories.

The thing is, if rpc.gssd is a little fast, I think it's possible that
it could get the notification about clnt3bb/ being created, and try to
look up "info", before "info" itself is actually created.

Or alternatively, if clnt3bb/ is short-lived, it might not look up
"info" until the directory's already been deleted again.

Neither problem should be fatal--rpc.gssd will get another update and
adjust to the new situation soon enough.

So it may be that the reall error here is an unconditional log message
in a case that's expected, not actually an error.

Or I could be wrong and maybe something else is happening.

But I think it'd be more useful to stay focused on the segfaults.

--b.