Re: NFSv4 client locks up on larger writes with Kerberos enabled

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 08:55:17AM -0700, Chuck Lever wrote:
> > On Sep 25, 2019, at 1:07 PM, Bruce Fields <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In that case--I seem to remember there's a way to configure the size of
> > the client's slot table, maybe lowering that (decreasing the number of
> > rpc's allowed to be outstanding at a time) would work around the
> > problem.
>
> > Should the client be doing something different to avoid or recover from
> > overflows of the gss window?
>
> The client attempts to meter the request stream so that it stays
> within the bounds of the GSS sequence number window. The stream
> of requests is typically unordered coming out of the transmit
> queue.
>
> There is some new code (since maybe v5.0?) that handles the
> metering: gss_xmit_need_reencode().

I guess I was thinking he could write a small number (say 2 digits) into
/sys/module/sunrpc/parameters/tcp_max_slot_table_entries (before
mounting, I guess?) and see if the problem's reproducable.

If not, that's a little more evidence that it's the gss sequence window.

(And might be an adequate workaround for now.)

--b.