Re: Maximum Number of ACL on NFSv4

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 08:25:16PM +0000, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> Umm... Don't forget that NFSv4 ACL aces are typically much larger than
> POSIX ACL aces because the user/group names are encoded as strings, not
> binary uids and gids.
>
> IOW: The size of the RPC message is likely to be a lot larger than the
> resulting POSIX ACL...

Actually this limit is post-idmapping, but, yes, before NFSv4->Posix
mapping (complicated in itself), which is why I talked about having to
estimate.

More interested to hear what you think about whether we need a limit at
all.  Do we have any ideas how big is too big a number to pass to
kmalloc?  Or is it OK to just let anything through and let kmalloc fail?

--b.