Re: pnfs setup on Linux 4.15

On 8 Mar 2019, at 2:05, Kanika wrote:

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 at 16:42, Benjamin Coddington <bcodding@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 7 Mar 2019, at 2:51, Kanika wrote:

Hi Benjamin,
Thanks for your reply. I suspected so but wanted to confirm. I tried
block/scsi layout as well but that isn't working either.

Based on an old thread on this list on "how to setup pnfs for block
layout", I set up an iscsi target on the DS and the initiators on the MDS
and client. All machines are running 4.15 kernel. Client as an iscsi
initiator but does not mount the device. MDS also an initiator with an xfs filesystem mounted on the device. This mount point is exported as an nfs
share from the MDS. The client mounts the exported MDS share.
By default LAYOUT_SCSI is used but the GETDEVICEINFO call keeps failing with NFS4ERR_INVAL. As a result all reads/writes from the client are routed
to the MDS instead of the DS. Anything wrong with my setup?

The SCSI layout needs to work with whole SCSI devices, not partitions.

Try putting your XFS on /dev/sda instead of /dev/sda1.

Ben
Hi Ben,
Thanks for the pointer. I tried this but still no luck, see the same
error for GETDEVICEINFO. Anything else I am missing?

It seems like you're hitting:

nfsd4_scsi_proc_getdeviceinfo(..)
    if (sb->s_bdev != sb->s_bdev->bd_contains)
         return nfserr_inval;

But if you're getting past that, then the MDS should be using pr_err to show something informative in the kernel log. It's possible your SCSI devices
doesn't support persistent reservations.

If there's nothing informative in the log, can you show the output of

sg_inq --vpd -p 0x83 /dev/sda

On both the client and the MDS?

Ben