Re: Stale data after file is renamed while another process has an open file handle

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 2:15 PM J. Bruce Fields <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sounds like a bug to me, but I'm not sure where.  What filesystem are
> you exporting?  How much time do you think passes between steps 1 and 4?
> (I *think* it's possible you could hit a bug caused by low ctime
> granularity if you could get from step 1 to step 4 in less than a
> millisecond.)

For CentOS, I am exporting xfs. In Ubuntu, I think I was using ext4.

Steps 1 through 4 are all done by hand, so I don't think we're hitting
a millisecond issue. Just for good measure, I've done experiments
where I waited a few minutes between steps 1 and 4.

> Those kernel versions--are those the client (node A and B) versions, or
> the server versions?

The client and server kernel versions are the same across the board. I
didn't mix and match kernels.

> > Note that with an Isilon NFS server, instead of seeing stale content,
> > I see "Stale file handle" errors indefinitely unless I perform one of
> > the corrective steps.
>
> You see "stale file handle" errors from the "cat test1.txt"?  That's
> also weird.

Yes, this is the problem I'm actually more concerned about, which led
to this investigation in the first place.