Re: A NFS client partial file corruption problem in recent/current kernels

> >> Pragmatically, Alpine used to work with NFS mounted filesystems where
> >> email was appended to them from other machines and it no longer does,
> >> and the only difference is the kernel version involved on the client.
> >> This breakage is actively dangerous.
> >
> > Sure, but unless you are locking the file, or you are explicitly using
> > O_DIRECT to do uncached I/O, then you are in violation of the close-to-
> > open consistency model, and the client is going to behave as you
> > describe above. NFS uses a distributed filesystem model, not a
> > clustered one.
>
> I would expect Alpine to work if "vers=3,noac" is in use.

 We're setting noac (and vers=3) for our /var/mail NFS mount, but
perhaps we've got some additional option that is wrong here and
should be changed? According to /proc/mounts, our mount settings
for /var/mail are:

	fs0.cs.toronto.edu:/cs/mail /var/mail nfs rw,sync,nosuid,nodev,relatime,vers=3,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,namlen=255,acregmin=0,acregmax=0,acdirmin=0,acdirmax=0,hard,noac,noacl,proto=tcp,timeo=11,retrans=4,sec=sys,mountaddr=128.100.3.130,mountvers=3,mountport=34630,mountproto=udp,local_lock=none,addr=128.100.3.130

(To an OmniOS fileserver with ZFS.)

	- cks