Re: nfs4-acl-tools 0.3.5

On 8/22/2018 8:12 AM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

Huh.  Yeah, that does look like a bug.  But I'm surprised the utilities
would work at all in that case--I'd expect both the Solaris and Linux
knfsd to reject an ACL with those extra bits, and certainly neither

Hmm, you're right; trying to include any of them when updating an ACL on an illumos server from the Linux client results in "Failed setxattr operation: Invalid argument".

It looks like those extra flags aren't even documented. Given a server will never actually return them such that a user sees them displayed, and they are not documented, it's most likely no one has ever actually tried to use them 8-/. From a historical perspective, it would be interesting to know why they are there, but that is perhaps lost to antiquity ;).

I suspect they're unnecessary, and I'd happily take a patch to remove
them once we figure out what's going on.

I'll strip them out and send you a patch soon; hopefully it won't take 10 more years to show up in a release :).

A side question while I have your attention; once I get the ZFS NFSv4 acl support committed upstream, what is it going to take to have the linux NFSv4 server use them and provide them to clients?

Thanks much…