Re: noresvport and port re-use

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 11:14 AM, Olga Kornievskaia <aglo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> There is no documentation of this behavior but when "noresvport" is
> specified, the client will not try to re-use the port upon connection
> re-establishement. Is this an oversight or a desired behavior (ie.,
> client doesn't need to be conservative and re-use ports)?
>
> Thank you.

I'm going to speculate on the reason myself and would like to hear
some folks thoughts.

When we specify "noresvport" we use port=0 value that tells the kernel
- use any port. When connection is re-established port=0 so NFS has no
control over which port the kernel will choose.

When client re-establishes the connection with a different port, that
has an effect on the server's replay cache. Any thoughts on that?

Should the client remember which non-privileged port it used and then
the next time request a specific port? Is that possible?