Re: client side see wrong directory entries with nfs_export on overlayfs

On Wed, 2018-03-28 at 07:45 +0300, Amir Goldstein wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 4:14 AM, Dai Qizhi <qzdai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> [...]
> > >

> > > Please refer to the man page of exports(5), the section about
> > > 'fsid' describes
> > > this problem related to exporting file systems that are not on a
> > > block device,
> > > such as overlayfs.
> >
> > yes, export different mount point with different fsid= option works
> > as
> > expected.
> >

> > > If you are interested to know if there is a way to fix this that
> > > does
> > > not involve manually
> > > configuring different fsid per export, I will have to consult
> > > with the
> > > NFS experts, so please
> > > and
> > > <linux-nfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > when exporting parent directory with crossmnt option and mount
> > differnet overlayfs
> > under that directory, we encounter the same problem on client
> > side..
> >

> I see. Jeff, Bruce, is there a school book solution to this issue?
>
> Is there a way for a non blockdev export to automatically identify
> itself
> to knfsd? After all, the tuple ("overlayfs";<overlay root file
> handle>) should
> be unique on the server. <overlay root file handle> contains (struct
> ovl_fh)
> the upper fs UUID and the upper root dir file handle.
>
> Technically, if there is no out of tree fs on the system that is
> using the
> value OVL_FILEID  (0xfb) for file handle type <overlay root file
> handle>
> itself would be unique.
>
> Thanks,
> Amir.

tl;dr: not currently, which is why when I did the reexport patches a
few years ago, they _required_ that you manually set the fsid= export
option.

Longer story:

Long, long ago, the fsid for the export was almost always determined by
the device major/minor tuple. That became really problematic whenever
devices got reordered after adding a disk to the system and rebooting.
So, Neil Brown added the ability to determine the fsid from the
libblkdev uuid (see nfs-utils commit e91ff0175602c, and kernel commits
from around that time).

In principle, you could do something similar for overlayfs: add a new
FSID_* type for overlayfs that can reliably determine a unique fsid for
different overlays. That would require kernel and userland patches, of
course...

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>