Re: [nfsv4] questing about NLM LOCK, CANCEL UNLOCK

On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 11:10:16AM -0500, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:
> Ok. I thought that because RFC1813 covers NLM operations that it is.

Yeah, I don't see a harm to the occasional NLM question on the v4
working group list.  It's a bit of an orphaned protocol, so there's not
really any other implementation-independent forum.

> I will extend this question to the Linux NFS mailing list as the
> client implementation I'm interested is Linux.

But that's fine too.

I thought that LOCK/CANCEL race was one of the motivations for NFSv4,
so...

> >> Is there a solution or this is broken protocol?

... I'd always assumed the protocol was impossible to implement 100%
correctly, though maybe there's some clever solution.

> >> Should it be client's responsibility to notice that it received a LOCK
> >> reply for which it wasn't waiting and always follow up with an UNLOCK?

That would be tricky and still not handle all cases, I think.

--b.