nfs group permissions not recognized between linux systems

I have been working on trying to setup an NFS server, but my clients cannot access the files after mounting.

It seems to be a problem with group permissions, but I can't figure out why.

My server is a debian 9 machine with kernel 4.9.51. If I use a debian client, either Debian 8 or Debian 9, everything works fine. However, if I try with an Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, or CentOS 7 client, they cannot access the files.

My directory on the server has permissions 2750. It is owned by root with ssl-cert as the group. The ssl-cert group ID is 555. I have made sure that same group is on all the client machines and has the same ID of 555. The users I am trying to have access the files are members of this group. Yet I keep getting permission denied.

I have turned off the firewall (both on server and client). I have put ALL:ALL in /etc/hosts.allow. The machines are in the same subnet. They can ping one another and can SSH freely between them.

I have tried NFS v3 and NFS v4, but this doesn't matter.

This is my /etc/exports

/etc/ssl/wildcard.smithville.com 192.168.1.0/24(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)

I've tried making the Ubuntu 16.04 machine the server and the Debian machine the client, but I have the same problem (but Ubuntu to Ubuntu is fine, and Ubuntu server to CentOS 7 client works).

I'm not sure how to further troubleshoot.

Thanks for any suggestions.