Re: [lkp-robot] [fs/locks] 9d21d181d0: will-it-scale.per_process_ops -14.1% regression

On Tue, 2017-06-06 at 09:00 -0400, Benjamin Coddington wrote:

> On 5 Jun 2017, at 18:02, Jeff Layton wrote:

> > > Maybe as simple as only setting fl_nspid in locks_insert_lock_ctx(),
> > > but
> > > that seems to just take us back to the problem of getting the pid
> > > wrong
> > > if
> > > the lock is inserted later by a different worker than created the
> > > request.
> > >
> > > I have a mind now to just drop fl_nspid off the struct file_lock
> > > completely,
> > > and instead just carry fl_pid, and when we do F_GETLK, we can do:
> > >
> > > task = find_task_by_pid_ns(fl_pid, init_pid_ns)
> > > fl_nspid = task_pid_nr_ns(task, task_active_pid_ns(current))
> > >
> > > That moves all the work off into the F_GETLK case, which I think is
> > > not
> > > used
> > > so much.
> > >

> > Actually I think what might work best is to:
> >
> > - have locks_copy_conflock also copy the fl_nspid and take a reference
> > to it (as your patch #2 does)
> >
> > - only set fl_nspid and take a reference there in
> > locks_insert_lock_ctx
> > if it's not already set
> >
> > - allow ->lock operations (like nfs) to set fl_nspid before they call
> > locks_lock_inode_wait to set the local lock. Might need to take a
> > nspid
> > reference before dispatching an RPC so that you get the right thread
> > context.
>
> It would, but I think fl_nspid is completely unnecessary.  The reason we
> have it so that we can translate the pid number into other namespaces,
> the
> most common case being that F_GETLK and views of /proc/locks within a
> namespace represent the same pid numbers as the processes in that
> namespace
> that are holding the locks.
>
> It is much simpler to just keep using fl_pid as the pid number in the
> init
> namespace, but move the translation of that pid number to lookup time,
> rather than creation time.

I think that would also work and I like the idea of getting rid of a
field in file_lock.

So, to be clear:

fl_pid would then store the pid of the process in the init_pid_ns, and
you'd just translate it as appropriate to the requestor's namespace?

If we want to go that route, then you'll probably still need a flag of
some sort to indicate that the fl_pid is to be expressed "as is", for
remote filesystems.

OTOH, if the lock is held remotely, I wonder if we'd be better off
simply reporting the pid as '-1', like we do with OFD locks. Hardly
anything pays attention to l_pid anyway and it's more or less
meaningless once the filesystem extends beyond the machine you're on.

That said, I'd be inclined to do that in a separate set so we could
revert it if it caused problems somewhere.
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>